Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My first blog journal

Hi, this is Baby Kyle. This is a milestone day for me in technology since it's the first time I've ever written my own blog.

Here's my story. I’ve been a DL since I graduated into underwear. The story of how AB Universe was born is a true classic.
For me, my fondest memories were the original Pampers in the purple box. I’ve paid big money for vintage boxes of these off of eBay, because there is nothing like them (except for ones that actually fit!). I can remember back to 10 years old when I first got my own bike and I could finally ride the 2 miles to the store by myself. I was so nervous buying the box, which barely fit into the grocery sack. I kept this part of my life secret for over 15 years. The Internet helped me to discover that not only were there many others that enjoyed such role-playing, more importantly; this was not some complete psychological disorder. To the contrary, it has helped me deal with many of life’s curve balls. It’s probably a little non-PC but I don’t care.
More recently, while on vacation, I had to do my typical visit to an off-the-beaten-path drug store to see the rare brand of products often found at these retailers. I was fascinated by a baby print that I saw on a new diaper package. I tried to cut, tape, and even sew one together but it didn’t turn out quite right. I got to thinking, if I wanted a product like this, I’m sure there are others out there. Browsing the web I would find a single product here, another product there, but no one-stop shop for the whole ‘nursery’. Why couldn’t I find a way to manufacture the perfect AB/DL diaper and accessories myself?
The venture got off to a very slow start, and many of my friends thought I was taking this thing way too far. At first I tried to get something out of the existing producers in the market. I got a few raised eyebrows and many more no’s. The big companies that make diapers did not want to make less than a million of something, and especially not for a use that they believe might harm their image or baby brands. A year of research, custom samples, and on-site visits with a dozen foreign manufacturers produced our flagship product launched in January 2008: “Super Dry Kids”. It has been a huge success; we sold out of the initial production run in just 8 days. This has inspired me to create even more AB/DL products.
Sure our web site is somewhat self-serving; my girlfriend and business partner does not like that I’m the chief product tester. But it does allow me to conduct new product development and truly get to know what most of us want – a real baby product that fits big kids at a fair price. Unlike some of the incontinence product suppliers for which AB stuff is a sideline, this is all we do in a tiny little 3-person shop. And while we still have not recovered the initial R&D cost, this is definitely a labor of love for us.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude-- "my girlfriend and business partner does not like that I’m the chief product tester" ?? WTF! You're on the cutting edge of a fringe market that's getting ready to explode. Lucky you, lucky her... and lucky us too. BTW, just ordered a 20 of your new overnights, I'm psyched :)

Bradley said...

Hey Kyle! I think you guys have an awesome thing going. Great job. That partner of yours does an excellent job of quickly answering any questions. Thats teamwork!
Thanks for a great product. Bradley

Mike said...

Kyle,

Thanks for following your dreams and helping others make their dreams come true as well! All the best, Mike

P.S. I would like to request more pictures of the cutest model ever in the Pampers please, she is absolutely beautiful... :o)

Unknown said...

The new overnights are terrific! My boyfriend and I are trying them out and so far we're completely in love, just hoping maybe you can work some baby scent into the next batch. This is our second case of Abuniverse and your service has been amazing so far.
Thank you again for such a great product.

Unknown said...

Why are the ABU Super Dry Kids always out of stock, I once ordered some when they weree in stock buy I did never receive them nor did they charge my card. I have been waiting for these for so long, anyone know when they will be back?!?!?!

Unknown said...

That's great for you.
Too bad that most of your costumers have been ripped off. Most have provided payment for products that never arrive and could not contact you about their orders. ABU also took some ad space on tbdl.net and did not complete payment for that space.

Unknown said...

Wow,

Great job - no answers to emails and a blog post once ever...wow you are cutting edge there kyle...now if you ever get the super dry kids back in stock...oh yeah...they are always out of stock...great job...you really are the number one ab/dl site...NOT

Scott said...

I see that you have started this company a while back, but I must ask why do you not return any e-mail to your customer? I have placed a per-order and nothing has happened on your end what gives>?

Anonymous said...

This is a pitiful excuse for a company. I have tried for 3 weeks to reach them their 800 number is always busy and the other number on the invoice goes to voice mail. They advertised a buy one get one so i ordered and didn't get the get one so I will stick with bambinos as they always answer my calls and even call me back. As far as I'm concerned you can take your new overnight and stuff them up a monkeys bottom. I will definitely spam this across all the message boards, yahoo groups, fetlife, collar me, any where that is ab aware. Thanks for your outstanding freaking customer service ya scam artist.

Scott said...

Well I must say I have final received my order in grate condition. But was not informed of it's arrival until it landed in Canada. The e-mail I received was telling me address was incorrect. I was I under the impression that the package was still in the USA as the tracking number must have been incorrect and I was unable to track it. Then I see a charge on my Visa card from a medical charge witch I though was a cried card scam and cancelled my visa #. Later that day I have the post office delivery man at my door. I see by the new e-mail that you have sent out on improving your business I hope for other people that this is true.

Unknown said...

Hi Kyle and Friends!

Love your Blog!

My Name is Diana Massaro, and I am a Producer for a new TV Pilot for Tribune Broadcasting, which will be hosted by radio's personality Bubba the Love Sponge. Bubba the Love Sponge® was Howard Stern’s first choice to join him in his celebrated launch on Sirius Satellite Radio.

I am looking for Adult Babies, Diaper Lovers, Sissies, Mommies to be part of a special fetish show for Bubba's TV pilot in Chicago at WGN Studios the weekend of June 19/20. If you or anyone you know in the Midwest Area might be interested in being a guest on our show please contact me ASAP at 312-527-8975 or at 773.965.7465.


I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Sincerely,

Diana M.
Producer
Mobile 773-965-7465
Tribune Broadcasting / WGN Chicago
newtalkshowchicago@gmail.com

J.M. said...

Kyle, you do great work, and make a great product that's affordable. I like the fact that you still make the plastic sheet backs. I've seen the nostalgic sheet back nostalic diapers being sold on Ebay for hundreds of dollars. I once saw a box of nostalgic plastic backed pampers baby diapers from the 1980's being sold for $600. That's way too expensive for me.